top of page
Here are a few tips to help you avoid transmission problems:
- Check the automatic transmission fluid every 1,000 miles for level, smell and colour. A dark, burnt-smelling low level of transmission fluid is a bad sign!
- Recognize changes in the way your car drives. Notice gear slippage, early or delayed shifting, or strange noises. These could indicate problems with the transmission.
- Come to a complete stop before switching into
parking gear, and make sure you are stopped before moving from park to another gear.
- Don’t rock a vehicle. For instance, if you are stuck in mud, snow or sand. Rocking the vehicle could cause transmission failure.
- Do not shift from drive to reverse while the vehicle is moving.
- Don’t drag race! For more reasons than one, this is a dangerous pursuit that is very unkind to your transmission.
- Don’t drive on a spare tire for longer than necessary.
- Check the cooling system regularly. Transmission failure can result from excessive heat.
bottom of page